Tuesday 12 February 2013

Book Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Title: The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3)
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: 12th Febuary 2013
Read In: Febuary 2013

Goodreads - Amazon.co.uk/.com - Book Depository

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.
This is a review for the third book in the series and therefore it may contain spoilers for Bloodlines and The Golden Lily.

I cannot believe that it has been three and a half year since I picked up Vampire Academy. Here I am, eight books into the world, and I am still in love with it. The Indigo Spell is a brilliant new edition to the world of Moroi, Strigoi, Alchemists and more.

If I keep loving you, maybe you’ll eventually crack and love me too. 
It was ludicrous, you couldn’t make someone love you just by loving them. It didn’t matter how charming he was, how good looking, or how funny. An Alchemist and a Moroi could never be together. It was impossible. 
I’m pretty sure you’re already half in love with me.
Very impossible.’

There are two, not one, but two problems that Sydney has to deal with; one with Marcus, the other with Miss Terwiliger’s magic classes. I really enjoyed how the two were blended together. Although how Sydney manages to keep up with her homework I have no idea. It was pretty full on. I just had to keep reading. It is very hard to say anything about the plot without ruining it. You know how it is. Let’s say with the two problems, the tension is upped as is the threat, not just to Jill but, of course, to Sydney herself. This series is definitely heading in a direction I didn’t expect.

I didn’t know how I would feel about Sydney’s developing magical powers at first but it kicked it up a notch in this one. It just seemed to fit with Sydney slowly breaking away from the Alchemists. She gets to learn some pretty impressive stuff. I am wondering where this will lead.

When the Bloodlines series was announced, and that Sydney and Adrian were the leads, my first reaction was, “Oh God. How does that work?” I could not see them together. They are totally different people. Now we are on to book three, and oh boy has Sydney changed. Her view of the world, of other people and how she acts had gradually changed, especially in this one. Talk about challenging beliefs. Adrian has also changed, even if it is not so dramatic. He has matured, that, I feel, is the main thing. He wants different things with Sydney than he did with Rose. You can see that more clearly. I would call it healthier, even if the situation is not so healthy. Sydney and Adrian are now perfect together. I loved reading more about them. After the ending in The Golden Lily, we definitely needed more in this book. Things will never be the same. Each scene together made me smile.

There is no love triangle. I know there were rumours going around but let’s be fair there wasn’t any evidence that a love triangle would occur between Sydney and Marcus. Just guess work based on prior stereotypical YA experience. I would like to thank Richelle Mead for not going down this root. A love triangle wouldn’t have worked. We already have too much of an emotional rollercoaster ride with Sydney and Adrian. But Marcus still has a good part to play. His ideas and beliefs intrigue me rather than him as a person. Looking forward to seeing the part he plays next.

Unfortunately, I am still not as captivated with the whole Jill, Eddie, Angeline drama as I would like. Unlike Christian and Lissa in the Vampire Academy, I am not falling in love with any of the possible couples yet. With everything else going on with Sydney, it feels really side-lined and a tad unnecessary. I am really hoping it builds in the second half of the series.

Richelle Mead is famous for her book three endings. I am not sure this goes up there with the dramatic or heart-wrenching factor. Not in the way I am use to anyway. Oh, it was heart-wrenching but for a different reason to what I expected. Vague, I know. The last two pages however. Let’s just say I swore and couldn’t stop laughing with agony that I have to wait until the end of the year for the next book. Definitely the best cliff-hanger, of the series, so far.

Heart-wrenching, captivating, this is Richelle Mead. I cannot wait to see where this series is heading. Yes, it is still somewhat unclear. An excellent addition. I love it.


 Becky

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the ending wasn't as heart-wrenching as I was expecting! I was expecting to be rolling around crying, but nope. It definitely left me looking forward to book four though :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was definitely my favorite of the Bloodlines series so far Adrian was definitely at his best. Great review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a rental for sure but i wouldn't mind seeing hermes outlet again. Visually cool looking and the artist in me digs that.
    I saw this at the theater with friends. I'm 18 and I thought it was awesome. We all did. What is it with movie critics? fendi outlet They drool over that MORONIC Mr. Fox movie and diss this? This was kickass. The animation was beautiful and the central character made you root for him, great prada handbags voice work, funny and sad and just great. Fight scenes rocked. NOT FOR KIDS ONLY. Not even close. NOT JUST A RENTAL either. Glad I saw it at the rolex submariner replica theater, the audience was into it and that's part of the fun of going to the replica handbags movies imo. Astro Boy - five stars.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D