Tuesday 12 June 2012

Book Review: The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Title: The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 418
Release Date: 12th June 2012
Read In: June 2012

Goodreads - Amazon.co.uk/.com - Book Depository

*Warning* Spoilers for Bloodlines.
In hiding at a Californian boarding school, Sydney's life has become irrevocably intertwined with Jill Dragomir, the vampire Moroi princess she has been tasked with protecting. She has grown close to those in Jill's royal circle - and to someone in particular. Someone that forces her to question everything the alchemists believe in. Someone forbidden.
When a shocking secret threatens to tear the vampire world - her world - apart, Sydney's loyalties are tested more than ever. Should she trust the alchemists - or her heart?

The Golden Lily, book 2 in the Bloodlines series, was more about the development of the characters than fast development in story. This is classic Richelle Mead; I have come to expect it from her. 

´As for the rest … I don’t know Sage. There’s something about you … you don’t judge like the others. I mean, you do. You’re more judgmental than any of them in some ways. But there’s an honesty to it. I feel …´ The smile left his face as he faltered for words. ´Comfortable around you, I guess.´”

This is not a direct continuation of Bloodlines in terms of antagonists. Instead here is a different threat facing Sydney and the gang. Oh there are plenty of crossovers from the first book, just a different threat. However, I am expecting the events from Bloodlines to come back and bite them in the bum eventually. The stakes are rising. 

Sydney is a very different character to Rose. I don’t know why, but it was more noticeable in this book than in Bloodlines; maybe because we are getting to understand Sydney better as a character. She is becoming more caring about the people who are her friends. However, she is, still, sociably inept. Bless her; she doesn’t notice all the signals. While I do not connect with her as much as I want, I still enjoy reading from her point of view. Seeing original characters from her view point, such as Dimitri, is another thing I enjoy. In Vampire Academy, Dimitri is the love interest. Therefore, there is this filter that we see him through (maybe he is not as amazing as we thought. Doubt it though). To Sydney, Dimitri isn’t as sexually appealing to her as he is to Rose. We got to see a different side. 

Dimitri and Adrian have to work together in a research project. That was the cliff-hanger at the end of Bloodlines. We know how rocky their relationship is due to the one and only Rose Hathaway. There is tension between them and I loved reading about it. Although I am glad that Adrian seems to be slowly getting over Rose. He doesn’t deserve to remain hung up on her. 

One of the things that I loved about this book was the developing relationship between Sydney and Adrian. Were they in a position to have a romantic interest in each other at the end of Last Sacrifice? No; not in my opinion anyway.  But people change and, if their relationship continues in its current direction, I can definitely see myself becoming a fan. 

I would’ve liked a bit more depth to the whole Eddie, Angeline, Jill love situation. I guess that is hard to portray from the point of view of a character like Sydney. Hopefully as Sydney develops we will get more of an insight into, what is turning into, one of the most complicated romantic situations I have seen in YA fiction. 

Unlike the previous book, The Golden Lily did not end on a horrible cliff hanger. Therefore, I am not ripping my hair out for the next one. But I still really want to read it. I’m still waiting, Richelle, for the big smack in the face ending you're famous for. This occurs, usually, in book 3. How can I want something and dread it so much?

Even though I didn’t read this book as fast as I thought I was going to, I still loved it; can’t wait for the next book. Richelle you still amaze me! 


 Becky

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Seeing Dimitri from a different POV is something I've actually been wondering about, so it's funny you should mention it. I actually find I connect with Sydney as a protagonist pretty well, though she's not as exciting as Rose. Can't wait for my copy of this book to arrive!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D